WHAT CAN I DO?

If you're not LGBTQ, Black, a Survivor of Gun Violence, Muslim, a High School Student, an Immigrant, a Woman, Poor, an Elder, or Human, you don't need to read this...keep scrolling...
We are in a time where many groups of humans are facing the indignities of discrimination, oppression, unmitigated harassment and actual physical violence. Where do we turn to? Who do we turn to? 
I've spoken to many people who don't think any of this is new. It's just that we can see it now. We live in an era of videos and sharable media. People who are reluctant to step in and help aren't afraid to video the violence and post it. 
I met with a friend this morning for coffee. We spoke of how difficult it is to believe the world is existing as it is. How can we sustain this much longer? Hate isn't sustainable. I don't how many of us are aware of this fact. It's destructive and it isn't selective of who it destroys. 
Our communities are undergoing systematic damage. We are being marginalized. I see it. Do you? I care. Do you?
Sheila and I essentially asked each other the same question: What can we do? 
Another friend posted a video this morning about a social justice worker who worked behind the screen of his laptop and was somewhat obnoxious with his comments. I don't want to be that guy but I do write and I do believe that is one of my gifts. I'm not a big talker in public forums. I like to listen in those venues. I like to write my thoughts out and share them. What you do with them is your business.
We all have a right to be part of the resistance. You don't need a degree or a special license nor do you need to go to seminary to share the message of community. It's what we are, ya know. We are a community. I belong to a few different communities. They are all very important to me. 
Love isn't mean to be skinny. Most of us are doing our best just to get by that our love has lost a lot of weight. We don't have time to meet up for a cup of joe or make that telephone call. We have tons of time to watch Netflix series on whatever but no time to actually get face to face with another human being. I am interested in something a friend of mine is into and I have asked her about it and she pointedly replied, "I want to talk with you about it face to face." That's the world I've place myself in. People text me and ask to have a cup of joe and then we talk, I mean we talk about the state of our lives and what we perceive to be the state of the world. We don't try to change each other's minds or judge, we just share. Sometimes all we need to do is share. We're so afraid of saying something wrong sometimes that we forget what we actually believe. 
We've got elections coming up. You want to be a part of the resistance? VOTE. I know, I know, voting is too easy. "I want to do something bigger!" Look what happened to our country because somewhere around 47% of you wanted to do something bigger than the act of a vote. 
Resistance work is not for the faint of heart. It requires you to show up - for yourself and others. It is tempered by so many variables. It would behoove you to know this going in: one's identity, privileges, geographic location, commitments, gifts, history of oppression, awareness of spiritual gifts all matter. Why does this matter? Because social justice work looks different for all of us. Yesterday I was feeling like I wasn't doing enough and I was should-ing on myself until my BF, Lisa, told me that mindful parenting was one of the biggest acts of resistance I could do. (11th Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Should On Thyself.) 
Another act of resistance was meeting with my friend, Sheila. We got to connect, share, and reassure one another that we matter and that we aren't putting up with others' bullying tactics. Do adults get bullied? Hell, yes. All of the time. Shaming others is an act of bullying. Gossip is another. Shall I go on?
I hope those you share an affinity with can be rocked by your kindness. I hope you make space and time for those you love. I hope you reveal the identities of those who drop seeds of kindness into your life on a regular basis. We're so inundated with ugly, I want to turn the tide with beauty. There's a lot of people doing really good things out in the communities. When you see it, stop and say thanks. 
Let's do our best to keep each other in the light of love. Okay?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two chicks are better than one!