SANTA IS OUT WITH THE BATH WATER

The best laid plans are sometimes just a one night stand. 
I'm not big on planning but with three kids I can see the benefits of it. I wanna be clear that this holiday season my biggest three gifts are my children. I'm not asking for more than that. Holy cow, I hit the jackpot! I am also pretty damn fortunate to have a partner who understands that healing concepts continually flow through life and they're free for the taking. And, she has this beautiful way of seeing that everything has a silver lining. 
I'm feeling for all you parents out there who are struggling to get the quota of gifts under the tree. I'm not there and no one is more grateful about that than I am. I believe this is the direct result of not owning a tv, or maybe not having cable. We have an old 19inch that belonged to Nancy's mother. For nostalgia reasons, I can't seem to let go of it. (I hope Marie Kondo isn't one of my readers!) My kids watch DVDs on it and that's it. So our home is not filled with ads and such. My kids - at 8, 7 and 2 - still think the greatest gift they could be given is time out in nature, exploring life on the trails. 
This morning Nancy and I discussed new traditions and what we want to pass down to the kids. We both shared the traditions we were raised with - the good, bad and ugly. She's taken on the bulk of things this year. I don't have a good reason for it but she has and I'm grateful. In years past she's flown to Omaha to spend the holiday with her sister and nephews but not this year. After almost six years together, this will be our first Christmas together.
Hope no kids are reading this...
There is no Santa. 
There are, however, Holy Ones. They are called Yei bi’chai. They are the primary spirits that intercede between humans and the Creator. My people are tough and brave. We organize ourselves by clans. We know ourselves by clans. The most beautiful and easily understood demonstration I've witnessed of who we are as defined by our clans was by Debbie Nez Manuel. There are close to 130 clan systems that I know of. 
Diyin Diné'e translates into the Holy People. These are beings whose actions are told about in the stories and myths that are the basis for our ceremonies (healing and blessing ceremonies, as well as chantways). Diyin means holy or sacred or holy being. It comes from a verb stem meaning to be holy or to become holy.
So this Christmas, we will once again throw Santa out with the bath water and we will continue to teach our children the purpose of any life is to become holy. What does being holy look like to a 9, 7 or 2 year old? It looks like kindness, laughter, and gratitude. It also looks like family, being with your community. 
Friends, it's an honor to show up here. I love this connection we have built. I've been so inspired and moved by all the love and support I have received here. My children get to grow up in the digital age, which means they get to be admired without having to be known. It's the best I can do. In real life, their beauty is an elegance, with a depth and width, I can't quite put into words. I'm not Virginia Woolf! They've changed my life in ways that I will never be able to repay them for. Alas, being known by them is my best gift. It's a gift I didn't receive from my own folks so I deeply understand the value of it. 
We do love to play with myths in our home. All of my children have great imaginations. My oldest son facetiously asked how Santa was going to get in because we don't have a chimney. I suggested we leave the sliding glass door unlocked. 
Whether you believe in an altruistic being who lavishes you with excess or not, I hope you find a way to make this holiday season about becoming more holy. Most of us aren't thinking about being holy as we traipse through the malls but we can become holy if we practice kindness. Don't believe me? Try it!
**One last photo with Santa before I throw this bilagáana out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FALLING IN LOVE, THE PHYSICS